Important Bihari Wedding Rituals.
1. Satyanarayan Katha Bihari Wedding Rituals.
2. Cheka Bihari Wedding Rituals.
3. Wedding Traditions Of Haldi Kutai.
4. Tilak Ceremony Of The Groom.
5. Bihari Wedding Rituals Of Mandappachadan.
6. Haldi Matkor Bihari Wedding Rituals.
7. Dhriti Dhaari And Maatri Poojan.
8. Silpoha Bihari Wedding Rituals.
9. Imli Ghutaai Pre Wedding Rituals.
10. Pre Wedding Rituals Of Paricchavan.
11. Barat Prasthan Bihari Wedding Rituals.
12. Jaimala Bihari Wedding Rituals.
13. Galsedi Bihari Wedding Rituals.
14. Bihari Marriage Rituals Of Kangna Bandhana.
15. Bihari Kayastha Marriage Rituals Of Kanyadaan.
16. Bhaisur Nirakshan Bihari Wedding Rituals.
17. Puja Of The Kuldevta.
18. Bihari Wedding Rituals Of Pheras.
19. Post Wedding Kohwar Parikshan.
20. Salaami Bihari Wedding Rituals.
21. Emotional Bidaai Bihari Wedding Rituals.
22. Swagat Aarti At Groom’s Place.
23. Mooh Dikhai Bihari Wedding Rituals.
24. Bihari Wedding Rituals Of Chauthaari.
25. Post Wedding Chauka Chulaai.
1. Satyanarayan Katha Bihari Wedding Rituals
A quintessential Bihari Hindu wedding is marked by beginning the festivities with a satyanarayan katha. A prayer service that is arranged at the Groom’s house by his family.
2. Cheka Bihari Wedding Rituals
This is an official day, that is selected for performing the engagement rituals. 7 to 11 members of the groom’s family accompany the Groom to the bride’s place. They carry sweets, and gifts and the couple exchange rings to declare their relationship.
3. Wedding Traditions Of Haldi Kutai
In this ceremony, the groom’s mother, and other married women come together to make the whole turmeric paste. This is later sent to the bride’s home for the ubtan ceremony. This ritual is accompanied by a series of folk dance and music performances. A similar ceremony takes place in the bride’s place as well.
4. Tilak Ceremony Of The Groom
This is a pre wedding ceremony that marks the formal acceptance of the bride’s brother towards the groom. The bride’s brother visits the Groom’s place and applies Tilak on the groom’s forehead, and showers him with good wishes and gifts.
5. Bihari Wedding Rituals Of Mandappachadan
The Bihari wedding mandap is also as unique as the wedding ceremony rituals of the region. The traditional wedding mandap of a bihari wedding is made of banana shoots, Bamboo, and Mango leaves. And there is a separate celebration for this being made.
6. Haldi Matkor Bihari Wedding Rituals
The respective in laws send a haldi paste for the bride and the groom. This is smeared onto the hands and faces of the bride and groom on an auspicious day declared by the priest. The wedding Havan is also coated with mud after the Haldi ceremony, known as the Matkor ceremony.
7. Dhriti Dhaari And Maatri Poojan
This is a series of two rituals that takes place in both the groom and bride’s home separately. They seek forgiveness and good wishes from their forefathers through this ritual.
8. Silpoha Bihari Wedding Rituals
The groom’s mother, accompanied by other elderly married women of the family grinds rice in a grinding machine, to seek blessings of prosperity and happiness from the goddess.
9. Imli Ghutaai Pre Wedding Rituals
This is a ritual performed by the mother and maternal uncle of the groom. This is done signifying the warding off of evil influence from the groom and his life.
10. Pre Wedding Rituals Of Paricchavan
The groom prepares in his bihari wedding dress to go to the bride’s place for the marriage. The mother of the groom prays and puts teeka on his forehead for a smooth journey.
11. Barat Prasthan Bihari Wedding Rituals
The groom departs for the bride’s house, or the wedding venue in a floral decorated car. The Baaraat or the family members of the groom accompany him also.
12. Jaimala Bihari Wedding Rituals
The bride now finally comes to the wedding venue, and she greets her fiance by performing an aarti and teeka. The couple exchanged flower garlands after this.
13. Galsedi Bihari Wedding Rituals
This is a ritual where the mother of the bride and other elderly women of the bride’s family burn betel leaves into ases and smear that on the groom to ward off evil eyes.
14. Bihari Marriage Rituals Of Kangna Bandhana
The brothers of the bride escorts her to the wedding mandap again. Now she comes to the mandap in a traditional all-yellow saree or a bihari wedding dress for the bride, without any jewellery. The priest ties a sacred tie of mango leaves and other things on the couple’s wrists.
15. Bihari Kayastha Marriage Rituals Of Kanyadaan
The very emotional ceremony of Kanyadaan when the parents of the bride finally give her hands away to the groom.
16. Bhaisur Nirakshan Bihari Wedding Rituals
Post the Kanyadaan ritual the bride’s elder brother in law and her father in law bless her and gift her new dress and bihari wedding jewellery, for her to wear and proceed for the next marriage rituals.
17. Puja Of The Kuldevta
The bride and the groom are made to take some wedding vows by the priest, and then they worship their kuldevata and the planets to be a witness of their nuptial union.
18. Bihari Wedding Rituals Of Pheras
The couple now finally take their rounds around the holy pyre of fire. The bride slowly offers lave using a soop to the fire. This soop is refilled by her brother from time to time.
19. Post Wedding Kohwar Parikshan
The couple bathes and dresses up for the upcoming post wedding rituals the morning after the wedding.
20. Salaami Bihari Wedding Rituals
The elders of the families bless the groom with gifts or cash. After this the groom seeks for the permission of the elders to leave for his home along with his wife.
21. Emotional Bidaai Bihari Wedding Rituals
The bride bids her goodbyes to her family and sets on her new married life.
22. Swagat Aarti At Groom's Place
The Groom’s mother and other elderly married ladies at the groom’s home greet the couple and welcome them home through aarti.
23. Mooh Dikhai Bihari Wedding Rituals
The bride is blessed and gifted with jewellery and other valuables by the elders of the house, as they see her for the first time.
24. Bihari Wedding Rituals Of Chauthaari
The wedding celebrations are finally given a completion with a satyanarayan puja.
25. Post Wedding Chauka Chulaai
This is the Bihari Wedding Rituals, on the first day of the Bride in the kitchen. Her mother in law hands her over the responsibility of the grocery room and she cooks a meal for the family.